Saturday, October 31, 2009

More On Psalms And Enemies

Psalms 140
1 Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man;
2 Which imagine mischiefs in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war.
3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selah.

This passage is for the Jew, I think, not the Christian. Here David asks God's help in the face of his enemies, before he becomes king. It is difficult in this age, especially after the events of 9/11, to take comfort in the words of Jesus.

Luke 6
27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28 bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

But then again....There may be a distinction between a neighbor and an enemy

Matthew 22
44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

No comments:

 
IFB KJV Directory