Thursday, September 15, 2011

Helplessness - And Bible Prophesy

Matthew 24
42 Watch therefore; for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

Here is the problem. I don't have a mind to figure out much. This especially applies to Bible Prophesy, and especially to the books of Daniel and Revelations.

I believe Jesus is coming, like a thief in the night. And I believe He is coming in a cloud, with great power and glory. But for any understanding more than this, I have come to the conclusion that I must rely on others, trusted others: Scofield, Larkin, Gill, my Pastor, Chafer.

And so, I read my Bible and Scofield, and now mostly Chafer, and say, ah ha, yes indeed, now I understand God's prophetic word to man. I truly understand the seventieth week. And a month later? I still believe Jesus is coming, like a thief in the night, but I can't remember the significance of Rome, the fourth kingdom, much less Medo-Persia, the second kingdom. Or is it the third?

Here is John Gill's explanation of Jesus' coming in Matthew 24 that I find oddly comforting:
for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come; [Here Jesus says He is coming] to avenge himself of the unbelieving Jews, and fulfil what he in person, and by his apostles, had predicted and warned them of. I will not deny, but that what follows may be much better accommodated and applied to the second coming of Christ, and the last judgment, and the behaviour of men with regard to both, than anything said before. And, it may be our Lord's intention, to lead his disciples gradually, and as it were imperceptibly, to the last scene of things on earth, to make way for the parables and description of the future judgment, in the next chapter; still keeping in view, and having reference to, the subject he had been so long upon.. 
I find Gill's 18th Century Baptist view of the millennium and beyond comforting. This, in the end, is my view of Jesus' Second Coming. It is tentative, but then again it is more than sufficient to guide me in my daily life....

No comments:

 
IFB KJV Directory