Thursday, October 20, 2011

Moving On - Kindred Spirits

Matthew 11
28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I am about to retire, moving to Texas.  And I have been giving some thought to both my future and my past. This is a time to look not only forward but also to look back. It is time to move on, and it is also a time to look back and to say some goodbyes.

As part of looking forward to a new future, planning for a life that will be so different, I have given some consideration to my experience at  the little Baptist church I've been going to these past four years.

I found, in this church, a loving people that were right with each other and right with God, a people working for the good of the community and for the glory of God.  I found a Pastor with a wonderful, inspired message, based on the Bible, ably leading his flock.  In this church, I did find some spiritual peace, some little bit of rest on my walk in His path, in His Spirit. This was a good church to find one's salvation.

But, sad to say, I found no kindred spirits in this church. There was never much to say.  I guess I was just passing through. It's just a fact, an odd, sad fact of my life.

If you give life, in its deepest sense, some thought, God's essential message in the Bible is not about church, universal or local.  God's essential message in the Bible is not about the rapture, or speaking in tongues or election or evangelism. In the end, you only have your Bible and the holy message that God left for you.  In the end, it is just you and your God.

Thankfully, for some of us, he is a gracious, loving God.

Isaiah 2
3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths....

Amen

No comments:

 
IFB KJV Directory